Don’t Let Your Christmas Tree Ruin Your Christmas – Follow These Holiday Fire Safety Tips

Around 160 homes in America burn every winter as a result of Christmas tree fires.  According to the National Fire Protection Association, the most likely time for these fires is actually after Christmas.  In many cases, drying trees are ignited by holiday lights that are left on by families wanting to keep the Christmas spirit alive.  

Other times, a family has taken down the tree, stowed the lights and decorations, and put the tree in the garage until they can dispose of it properly.  There, a single spark can set it off.  Although Christmas trees do not spontaneously combust, they are highly flammable and can make a fire burn hotter and spread more quickly.

Fortunately, there are things that homeowners can do to reduce the hazard:

  • Watch for falling needles.  As a Christmas tree dries out, the needles begin to turn brown and fall from the tree.  When that happens, it’s time to get rid of it.
  • Check your lights.  The spark that ignites most Christmas trees is most often caused by damaged lights or over-loaded plugins. 
  • Contact us to make sure your homeowner’s insurance is up-to-date.  Call Lou Aggetta Insurance in the Bay Area and get a quote today!  

 

Lou Aggetta Insurance, Inc.

2637 Pleasant Hill Rd
Pleasant Hill, CA 94523

(925) 945-6161 | Phone
(925) 256-7610 | Fax