November is American Diabetes Month.
November is dedicated to raising awareness about diabetes across the country. Although many people have heard about diabetes, not everyone knows exactly what it is or how it affects people who have been diagnosed. Use this month to learn the facts, prevent it, and support those who have it.
There are two main types of diabetes:
- Type 1 (often referred to as Juvenile Diabetes)
- Types 2 – This is the most common form of diabetes. It is where the body doesn’t produce enough insulin.
Adapt your lifestyle to prevent it.
While many assume that diabetes is an inherited disease, many studies show that lifestyle plays a significant role in keeping the disease at bay. Diabetes can be brought on by your environment (such as eating habits and lifestyle), as well as inheriting it.
- Drink plenty of water (not sugary beverages)
- Stay active through regular physical exercise
- Lose excess body fat – Being overweight can increase your risk of developing diabetes
- Get enough sleep at night, as chronic sleep deprivation can lead to obesity and then diabetes
- If you smoke, quit the habit
- Receive regular health check-ups to assess your blood pressure and cholesterol levels
- Follow a low-fat/low-carb diet to eat the right foods and maintain a healthy weight
Show your support for those with diabetes by helping to raise awareness. You can do this through:
- Showing your support on social media
- Becoming an advocate to help ensure the topic of diabetes is brought to light
- Donating or volunteering at a diabetes support charity
The professionals at Lou Aggetta Insurance Services hope that you take American Diabetes Month as the chance to create awareness and better your health habits for good! While you tend to your health, let us handle your insurance policies. Visit us in Pleasant Hills, California to get started.