With the invitations to holiday parties arriving, the excitement for the holiday season is beginning to settle in. As you prepare for the perfect outfit and decide whom you will go with you to the party, you may be forgetting one very important planning measure. Before heading out the door to enjoy holiday festivities, you must secure a safe ride home. While you may be inclined to make the mistake of “sobering up” or “limiting” your alcohol intake, it is simply safer and more responsible to just call a taxi or entrust a sober friend to take you home. If you decide to get behind the wheel of a car intoxicated, the consequences can be dire. Before getting behind the wheel, consider how this DUI would affect your record:
- When you are cited for driving intoxicated, your license will be suspended. Therefore, you will have to find an alternative transportation to and from your destinations.
- The DUI on your record will mean you will need a different type of insurance that is specialized for high-risk drivers, SR-22. With this status on your record, your insurance provider may decide to refuse a renewal of your policy.
- There is no way to avoid elevated auto insurance premiums when you have SR-22 status on your driving record.
- Your DUI will remain on your driving record for 10 years. For the first 3 years you will be labeled as SR-22 status; however, for the last 7 years you will still have to pay elevated insurance premiums.
- If you have more than one DUI on your record, the pool of insurance providers that will take the risk in insuring you becomes extremely small.
Don’t ruin the spirit of the holiday cheer and get behind the wheel! Call a taxi, Uber, Lyft, or designated driver to get you home safely! Contact Lou Aggetta Insurance Services in Pleasant Hill for all of your California auto insurance needs. We have been providing California residents with unmatched security since 1981 and will provide you with the same commitment we have to others all this time.