Fire safety tips for your winter festivities.
Although California isn’t known for its ice and snow in winter, the cooler temperatures mean we spend more time inside and enjoying the festivities of the season. Along with the holidays comes an increased risk of fire. From Christmas trees to decorative lights to holiday candles, the festive period often sees a spike in home fires. To keep the flames at bay, take a look at our top fire prevention tips for the holiday season.
- Be mindful of where you place decorations and holiday cards. Avoid putting them near heating and cooking appliances.
- Ensure your holiday lights do not have any frayed or broken wires.
- Never leave a lit candle unattended, and be sure to place it out of reach of children and pets.
- Turn off decorative lights before leaving home or going to bed.
- Cooking dinner for the whole family can be stressful. Give yourself enough time to prepare so that you don’t make safety errors.
- Avoid drinking alcohol until after you’ve finished cooking.
- Keep children and pets out of the kitchen while cooking.
- Avoid wearing loose-fitting clothing that can catch fire.
- Never leave the kitchen while there is something on the stove or when the oven is on.
General Fire Safety:
- Make sure you purchase electronics that are tested and have a high safety rating.
- Place space heaters away from flammable objects and turn them off before you leave the room.
- Check that your smoke alarms are working, refreshing the batteries if necessary.
Now that you know the essential holiday fire tips, take the time to review your homeowners insurance. Contact the team Lou Aggetta Insurance Services in Pleasant Hill to get started on your tailored policy.