Moving and Your Insurance

moving boxMoving can be a stressful process which leads to an ultimately desired outcome. Your new place is certain to be a happy home as soon as you get all those boxes unpacked. Making sure that your insurance policy covers any damages to your moving van or trailer can help make the moving process a little less stressful.

If you are looking into renting your own moving van, you might be over and above your coverage.  The typical size of a moving van is simply too large to be covered under a standard policy.

Additionally, if you’re renting a trailer, check your coverage.  While generally the trailer itself is covered and damage to that piece of equipment would be claimed under your auto policy, damage to the contents might bleed over into your homeowners policy.

If you choose to pay someone else to move your belongings, there are two liability options to choose from. The first is fill coverage, in which the mover is liable for the replacement value of lost or stolen goods. There is also a released value liability plan, which is offered at no additional cost. Under this plan, the moving company will only pay out 60 cents per pound per article that is damaged. This means that if a 1,000 stereo system is damaged, the company will only have to pay our $6. It is important to take into consideration the cost of the items that you are moving when it comes time to choose the right moving insurance.

In short, moving provides many more complications than simply deciding how to decorate your new home. To be certain that your current insurance policy will cover any damages done while moving, your best bet is to check with your agent!

For more information on checking your insurance policy or to get a quote in Pleasant Hill, contact Lou Aggetta Insurance.