Having a teen that is starting to drive can be a stressful and nerve racking time for any parent. If you have a new driver in the family, it is important to make sure that they know how to stay safe while behind the wheel. To make sure that your teen is ready to drive on their own, make sure to follow these tips.
- Discuss the dangers of using electronic devices while driving, from getting a ticket to the possibility of death. Also make sure that you set a good example by not using your cell phone when driving.
- Let them know the dangers of distracted driving. Explain the dangers of not paying attention to the road, especially as an inexperienced driver.
- Explain to them that having just one of their friends in the car can almost double their chances of getting into a car accident.
- Discuss the dangers that are associated with speeding, and the consequences of doing it. Make sure to set strict consequences for your teen if they are caught speeding.
- Make sure to spend plenty of time in the car with your teen when they are learning to drive. Always stay calm while in the car so that your teen can stay calm as well.
- Always go along with what your teen was taught in drivers education to make sure your teen does not get confused.
- Encourage your children to only drive in conditions that they are comfortable in, and not to feel pressured by their friends to drive when they are not comfortable.
Most importantly, make sure that your teen is covered with the right auto insurance policy that will provide the protection that they need as a new driver. Contact the insurance professionals at Lou Aggetta Insurance for all of your auto insurance needs in Pleasant Hill, California.