Is carbon monoxide, the silent killer, lurking in your home?
Carbon monoxide (CO) is the most widespread form of poisoning in the home. CO gas is highly poisonous and cannot be detected by taste, smell, or color. It is completely invisible to the human senses, so extra care is needed to protect your home from this deadly gas. The only way to detect a CO leak is with a certified carbon monoxide alarm.
The most common causes of carbon monoxide poisoning are poorly fitted or poorly maintained fossil fuel-burning appliances, such as heaters, stoves, and fireplaces. Carbon monoxide build up can also occur from leaving your car running inside the garage – even when the garage door is open! Believe it or not, but low-levels of poison can also cause lasting damage to your health.
Carbon monoxide poisoning symptoms can be mistaken for a bad case of the flu. The symptoms can include nausea, dizziness, tiredness, headaches, stomach pains, or chest pains. If these symptoms seem to disappear when you are away from your home and return when you are back on the property, it could be a sign that there is a carbon monoxide leak somewhere. More severe symptoms are respiratory complications and brain damage leading potentially to death.
Luckily, there are a number of things that you can do to keep yourself and your loved ones safe.
- Have your appliances checked regularly by a professional
- Fit a certified audible alarm and regularly check that it is in good working order
- Do not block ventilation
- Learn to recognize the symptoms
- Never leave your car running while in the garage
- Do not use your oven to heat your home
- Never use an outdoor grill indoors
In addition to fitting alarms and maintaining systems, secure your necessary homeowners insurance. This coverage is designed to safeguard your property and belongings from damage and theft. Talk to the professionals at Lou Aggetta Insurance Services, serving Pleasant Hill and neighboring cities in California.