Expert tips for securing your home before a trip.
What are your plans for summer? Whether you’re heading out to see the relatives for a weekend or packing for a two-week vacation, you’re going to want to be sure your home is secure and safe from vandalism, break-ins, and property disasters while you’re gone.
Avoid having to file an expensive insurance claim when you return by following these home security tips.
- Place a hold on mail, newspapers, and other deliveries while you’re gone. Ask a friend or neighbor to pick up the mail from the box, if possible. Nothing says ‘no one is home’ like an overstuffed mailbox and littered newspapers on the front step.
- Park a car in the driveway each night. A neighbor likely won’t mind parking in your spot and the occasional shift of position makes it look like someone is occupying the home.
- Install times on various lights throughout the house so that it looks like someone is home. Also, turn down the volume of your phone so that no one can hear that no one is home to answer it.
- Hire a lawn care company if you’ll be gone for a while so that your lawn looks freshly trimmed. An overgrown lawn can signal to other people that no one is home to tend to it.
- Add motion detectors on your outside lights. This is an excellent security measure because the lights are triggered when someone is inside the range of the sensor.
Nothing ruins a vacation quicker than coming home to destruction and damage. Should an accident happen to your home, be sure that you can rely on your homeowners insurance. Contact the team Lou Aggetta Insurance Services in Pleasant Hill to get started on your tailored policy.