The 4th of July offers a time for celebration, but it’s not free of risk and that’s why you need to know how to have a safe holiday.
4th of July celebrations are just around the corner: backyard barbecue, a trip to the beach, fireworks. Whatever you may have planned this year, we want you to enjoy your holiday and have prepared steps you can follow to be safe. You don’t want to cut your festivities short just because you weren’t careful and didn’t prevent an easily avoidable accident! Here are some safety tips you should implement for your 4th of July festivities.
- Grilling Safety
- Always supervise the grill when it is in use.
- Make sure that everyone, including your pets, stays away from the grill.
- Keep the grill away from the house, trees, or anything that could catch fire.
- Use long-handled tools especially made for cooking on the grill to keep the chef safe.
- Never add starter fluid when the coals have been ignited—and never use it on a gas-powered grill.
- Always follow the owner’s manual.
- Never grill when you’ve consumed alcohol.
- Beach Safety
- Keep an eye on the weather report. Check to see if there are any warning signs posted.
- Swim sober and with a buddy.
- Young children and inexperienced swimmers should wear Coast Guard-approved life jackets.
- Waves can cause someone to lose footing, and can potentially drag them into open waters. Keep a close eye on everyone in the water.
- Firework Safety
- Never give fireworks to small children, and always follow the instructions on the packaging.
- Keep a supply of water close by, just in case.
- If you’re the one lighting the fireworks, always wear protective eye gear.
- Light one at a time, and never relight a “dud.”
- Keep fireworks stored in dry, cool places away from children and pets.
- Don’t throw, point, or light fireworks towards people, animals, vehicles, or basically just anything that isn’t the sky.
Try as you might, accidents happen. We’re only human. To keep your health protected when you need it most, a quality health insurance policy can do the trick. For more information about enjoying a safe and insured holiday, contact Lou Aggetta Insurance Services in Pleasant Hill, California today.