Every business that welcomes customers and visitors faces some risk of liability. Your business insurance can help cover you, but an injury settlement or lawsuit can have some serious consequences, including:
- Higher insurance costs going forward
- Loss of reputation in the community
- Productive time spent on legal issues
A few simple tips can help you reduce the risk of liability:
- Make sure emergency exits are kept clear and easily accessible. Doors should be unlocked, be set to open automatically with alarms, or be easily opened by people leaving the building.
- Inspect the premises and make sure it is properly maintained. Looks for worn or curled up carpets, loose flooring or ceiling panels, debris piled up, materials blocking vents and other potential hazards.
- Check product displays and shelves to ensure they are not overloaded or structurally unsound.
- Make sure stairs and smooth floors have slip-prevention coverings.
- Check that fire extinguishers, smoke alarms and other safety equipment is in good working order.
- Keep records of purchases, repairs and inspections that can indicate that the facility was responsibly maintained.
- Train staff in safety procedures and proper maintenance of the facility.
Lou Aggetta Insurance, in Pleasant Hill, can help you protect your business and your financial freedom. To get a quote or arrange an appointment, contact us.