Safeguard your vehicle against opportunist thieves.
You rely on your car every day, whether it’s to commute to work or drop the kids off at school. Being without our car is a hassle in many ways, which means it’s important to prevent theft as best you can. Fortunately, there are some sure-fire ways you can make your vehicle seem less appealing to car thieves. Anything you can do to slow down a thief will make him or her think twice about stealing.
Prevent car theft:
- Ensure your vehicle is locked at all times, even while driving.
- Never leave the keys in the car when parked. Close all the windows and the sunroof. Avoid leaving your keys on the tire, too.
- Avoid leaving valuables in your vehicle when you leave them, make sure they are in the trunk or under a cargo cover.
- Never leave your car running and unattended.
- Install an anti-theft system in your vehicle if it doesn’t have one. Thieves are reluctant to steal vehicles if they know the cars can be recovered quickly and if there’s a higher risk of them getting caught.
- Most thieves prefer to work in the dark. Park in well-lit areas when possible.
- Don’t leave your vehicle title in the car – Too often a car thief is pulled over and gets away from the police because they can produce the auto registration.
- Get the car’s vehicle identification number (VIN) etched on each of the windows. Car thieves want to get off cheap. They don’t want to go to the expense of replacing all the glass.
- Avoid leaving the car keys just inside the house by the door.
A little bit of preparation now can go a long way in preventing your car from being stolen. When you’re ready to get started on auto insurance for your needs, we can help. Contact Lou Aggetta Insurance Services in Pleasant Hill, CA. We will work with you to ensure you have the right policy at the right price.