Theft of SUV and crossover vehicles is steadily on the rise nationwide. However, it appears that these auto crooks have a preference when it comes to seizing specific makes and models. These are the top stolen SUV models between 2008 and 2012 according to a report from the National Insurance Crime Bureau.
- Ford Escape: Thieves took to the Ford Escape like a magnet to metal with a whopping 1,104 reported thefts!
- Chevrolet Tahoe: The Chevy Tahoe is listed as the most stolen full-sized SUV in the report with 856 very unhappy former owners.
- Toyota RAV4: This sporty model is popular with crossover drivers and also apparently with auto burglars, who snagged 801 RAV4’s off the streets between ’08 and 2012.
- Ford Edge: Although Hybrid class CUV’s and SUV’s were the least stolen vehicles, the Ford Edge was trendy among the criminal class with 739 reported thefts.
- Dodge Journey: Known for their durability, Dodge SUV’s are a solid target, and 721 Journey’s went missing according to the NICB report’s data.
- Honda CR-V / Jeep Wrangler and Grand Cherokee: Incredibly, there was a tie at 643 thefts for the CR-V and Wrangler with the Cherokee straggling behind by two thefts.
Protect your SUV investment – Contact Lou Aggetta Insurance Services for great rates on auto insurance in Pleasant Hill, CA and the surrounding counties.